Register for the Levy

REGISTER FOR THE APPRENTICESHIP LEVY

If you are an employer with a payroll of more than £3,000,000 then you are required to pay the Government’s Apprenticeship Levy with the Apprenticeship Service.

The payments will be taken monthly and will be only 0.5% of your payroll.

If you pay the Apprenticeship levy and want to employ an Apprentice you will need to:

  • Create an account on the Digital Apprenticeship Service
  • Add organisations
  • Link your PAYE schemes
  • Invite members of your team to use the service

WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO CREATE YOUR APPRENTICESHIP LEVY DIGITAL APPRENTICESHIP ACCOUNT

  • Your Government Gateway login details for the PAYE schemes that you want to include in your account
  • Details for each organisation that will be making an agreement with a training provider for Apprenticeship training, including the Companies House or charity number (if you have one)
  • The ‘UKPRN’ of any provider that you wish to use
  • NowSkills’ UKPRN number is 10040775

Register for & Manage Apprenticeship Levy (External Link)

WHAT IS THE APPRENTICESHIP DIGITAL SERVICE?

Similar to online banking, The Digital Apprenticeship Service is an online system that has been set up specifically to support the Apprenticeship levy. The online service makes it easier for levy paying employers to manage their funds and Apprenticeship programme finances, as well as helping them to estimate their financial spend and recruit Apprentices through their training providers.

WHAT CAN I SPEND MY LEVY FUNDS ON?

The levy was designed by the government to promote Apprenticeships to businesses, therefore the levy funds must be spent specifically on Apprenticeship training and assessments. These must be done through an approved training provider. Your levy funds can be used for Apprenticeship programmes, these are known as frameworks (which NowSkills currently provides), or standards which NowSkills will be introducing soon. Levy funds can be used to purchase both. Your training must be delivered by an Education & Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) approved Apprenticeship training provider such as NowSkills.

Each Apprenticeship framework or standard has a funding cap – you can spend less than the cap with your levy funds, but not more. If the costs of training and assessment go over the funding band maximum, you will need to pay the difference with other funds from your own budget. You will be moved into the co-investment band, which requires 10% to be paid by you, the employer, and the rest of the 90% will be provided by the government. Still a great bargain!

WHAT CAN I NOT SPEND MY LEVY FUNDS ON?

The Apprenticeship levy funds cannot be used for:• Apprentice Wages
• Apprentice Travel and subsidiary costs
• Traineeships
• Work placement programmes
• Managerial costs
• Statutory licenses to practice
• The costs of setting up an Apprenticeship programme

If you would like more information on what you can and can’t use Levy funds for or for prices and funding band information and cannot find an answer on our Levy FAQs page, please contact us.

SHARE