We are not currently taking any new enrolments for this course.
Software Development Technician
Level 3 Apprenticeship
Searching for a Software Development Technician apprenticeship that gives you more? If you want to work with PCs, software components, build software, problem-solve, programme and implement code then the Software Development Technician apprenticeship could be for you.
Blended learning Software Development Technician workshop modules included:
Duration: 4 Days
- Safeguarding & Prevent Duty awareness
- Essential skills in Health, Safety & Well-being in the workplace
- Key skills in Team common roles & Motivation
- Communication skills
- Business Environment Etiquette
- Equality, Diversity & Inclusion
- British Values
- Mental health & personal resilience
- Developing your own professionalism
Programming with C or Python
Duration: 4 Days
- Essentials of the Python language
- Python standard library.
- Python’s fundamental data types
- Use functions and modules to organize your code
- Programming language concepts using C#
- Writing programs right away.
- Build several projects to help you practice and test your knowledge
Programming with C# or Java
Duration: 4 Days
- Fundamentals of programming in C,
- Code structure,
- Data, program flow, and functions.
- How data is stored in variables and values,
- How to use operators to perform math
- Modify variable values
- Evaluate expressions and more.
- Fundamental programming concepts
- Object-oriented programming (OOP) using Java.
Data modelling & SQL
Duration: 4 Days
- Communicate with relational databases through SQL.
- Read and write complex queries to a database using – MySQL.
- Transfer skills to SQL databases, such as Microsoft SQL Server, Amazon Redshift, Oracle, and much more.
Agile Project Management
- What is Agile working?
- What is project management?
- Principle and Philosophy
- Understanding the project management lifecycle
- Learning key roles & responsibilities
- Techniques (SWOT, PESTLE)
- Planning Developing an awareness of risk & issues
- Governance Business context case
- Deployment Project modeling
Software Development lifecycle
- Systems development methods and tools
- Explore the phases of system development
- Analyses of feasibility and requirements
- Software solution design and coding, testing with simple design requirements
- Debugging, installation, and maintenance
- Cloud terminology and terms plus the usage and benefits of the different Cloud models
- The concepts of load balancing, failover, and redundancy
- Connectivity in the Cloud and the Cloud access portal
- Importance of Virtualisation Technology in the Cloud
Interested in this Software Development Technician apprenticeship?
Agile Project Management for Software Developers
The NowSkills Software Development apprenticeship programme is designed with the Agile Methodology in mind. We’ve worked with employers and Software Developers to design an apprenticeship that gives you more. Equipping your Software Development Technicians with the skills, knowledge and behaviours needed for successful outcomes. Agile methodologies and frameworks are based on adaptive planning, swiftness to change, empowering people, delivering iteratively and continuous improvements.
Flexible, blended learning
Employer-led and flexible, with no two apprenticeship journeys ever the same. We blend the best live online and physical classroom teaching experiences supported with the latest self-paced e-learning. Our monthly 1:1 teaching sessions are flexible, delivered live online or in person, depending on what your organisation needs.
We include additional Social Enrichment Sessions and celebrated speakers join us monthly in our Expert Series. Your apprentices also have the opportunity to achieve industry recognised certifications, beyond the scope of the apprenticeship.
More course details
Becoming a Software Development Technician apprentice is ideal for anyone who may enjoy a secure working environment with a wide range of PCs, software components (web, mobile or desktop applications) and implementing code with creative thinking skills. If you like building software, problem-solving, programming and implementing code with an organised approach and want future development then the Software Development Technician apprenticeship could be for you. The job roles you might expect to be applying for after your 12-15 month Software Development Technician apprenticeship are Junior Developer, Junior Web Developer, Junior Mobile Developer, Assistant Programmer and many
Technical skills and knowledge you will gain
- Logic: writes simple code for discrete software components following an appropriate logical approach to agreed standards (whether for web, mobile or desktop applications)
- Security: applies appropriate secure development principles to specific software components all stages of development
- Development support: applies industry standard approaches for configuration management and version control to manage code during build and also release
- Data: foundational skills with connections between code and also defined data sources as specified
- Test: functionally tests that the deliverables for that component have been met or not
- Analysis: follows basic analysis models such as use cases and also process maps
- Development lifecycle: supports the Software Developers at the build and also test stages of the software development lifecycle
- Quality: follows organisational and also industry good coding practices (including those for naming, commenting etc.)
– functional skills in solving logical problems, seeking assistance when required (including appropriate mathematical application)
- Communication: functional skills clearly articulate
Apprentices must have:
- – The right to work in the UK
- – Lived in the UK continuously for the past 3 years
- – GCSE English and maths at grade 4 or above (or equivalent)
What qualifications will I gain?
- Level 3 Software Development Technician Apprenticeship, awarded by the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education
Our accreditation partners:
Potential future roles as a Software apprentice:
These take place monthly, either at the workplace or live online with the tutor. The will involve
Coaching sessions, in areas of training, need agreed upon with the tutor
Professional Development Reviews (PDRs), which employers must partake in. These allow for a meaningful discussion between all 3x parties about the apprentice’s achievements, areas for improvement, and progress made to date
Updating of the Professional Development Plan (POP)
Provision of ongoing careers education, information, advice & guidance
Feedback on an apprentice’s work
English, maths, and wider digital technology skills development
Support in understanding and applying: safeguarding; fundamental British values; health, safety, & wellbeing; and equality, diversity, and inclusion
In addition to tutor 1:1s, all apprentices and employers must also partake in a monthly Professional Development Review (PDR)
A meaningful discussion about the apprentice’s achievements
Identifying areas for improvements, and agreeing to a consequent target plan
Looking at progress made to date
Ongoing professional development
Apprentices will be guided by a NowSkills tutor and their workplace mentor throughout the duration of the digital marketer apprenticeship. For a level 3 apprentice, this must be 6 hours of their working week and if they aren’t attending training in the centre, it may likely consist of:
- – Mentoring sessions with the nominated employer mentor
- – Training in the workplace, relevant to the standard
- – Producing/collating evidence for the apprentice’s summative portfolio
- – Work shadowing
- – Industry visits
- – Attendance at competitions
- – Online learning
- – Studying or researching
Gateway to EPA
This is the period in which the apprentice crosses the threshold phase, from learning and formative assessments to the end-point assessment phase. This decision will be made by the employer, training provider, and apprentice based on the apprentice’s progress. To move onto the end-point assessment phase, it is essential to have passed all the knowledge modules and/or vendor or qualifications or professional qualifications and to provide a portfolio of work.